Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Tolerance and understanding

I was born and raised in China till I was 8 years old.  The only reason why I eventually moved to America at an age of 8 was because my mother went abroad to get her masters degree, and since then we have stay and lived here in America.  Just like any Americans I have went to elementary and secondary schools, and even got a bachelors degree in secondary education in math.  Took the constitution tests, served in the judiciary system of becoming a Juror, and voted.  I even talk without an accent, and uses slang words like "like" and "OMG" in my sentences.  I feel in terms of integrating myself in the American ways, I already immersed in it and more.  So you wouldn't think of me to make the statement "The color of my skin does make me feel as an outcast in the American Society".  Not everyone makes me feel that way, but enough to know this American Dream will tolerate, but will not fully accept every one and every race.

I want to share with you my feeling of being an Asian living in America, it is not easy.  I experienced it first hand when I first attended elementary school.  I attended a predominately Caucasian populated elementary school in Lombard, IL.  At that elementary school I was among a handful of Asian kids, and we stick out like a green thumb.  I was just a kid, like any kid that wanted to fit in in a new school.  In the playground I wanted to play with the Caucasian kids, so I would try to join their groups.  One of the 3rd or 4th grader girls though it would be funny to play a trick on me, so they told me I could join them, but on one condition - I had to go and talk to that group of boys .  So I did, but as I was talking to the boys and turned around to point to the girls, they started laughing at me.  I knew then they had tricked me and wanted a good laugh at my expense. 

Although a small incident, it was both mean spirited and obvious showed what they thought of me.  I knew if I was Caucasian I probably wouldn't had to experience that, and if I had known how to speak English I wouldn't have been called a "doll".  I would have a better chance been accepted if I looked more like everyone else.  I still remember that moment vividly, and it still hurt to know such a small incident long time ago could still put a pain in my heart.  It was unfortunate I had to through that, as adults we sometimes forget kids teasing could be the reason why a child retaliate, or why he/she doesn't want to go to school.  The kid is just a kid, small and innocent, and should not have to be a victim of teasing because of race.  Today I understand it better and realized their parents probably didn't know better therefore didn't teach their kids well.  But today we do know better, therefore should not let this happen to anyone.  


Where does tolerance of others come from? I think it comes from positive influences, in this case positive influences acknowledged of that culture.  To start that understanding I would like the media to share more positive shows and information about China.  Instead of always showing Americans in debt and borrowing money from China, why not show China's positive influences of respecting their elders.  I have seen so many times on the bus and on the train the same scenario, a pregnant lady or an elderly getting on the bus, and no one gets up.  I feel because Americans didn't have a historical background like China, everyone base their ethics believes on TV drama and celebrities.  People know instantly what Miley Cyrus did on the vmas compared to what is going on in Syria.  And I would love it someday when I see more Asians in TV and magazines, not as a ninja/kung fu character like in the movie "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" or owning a dry cleaning business or a store in Chinatown.  I just want an Asian person to be portrait normally in a show, although I know I could do a few karate chops, but majority of the times I am not doing that.  I think a normal Asian person in an American TV show would show everyone we are just like everyone else, with feelings but just with different skin color.

For those that are reading this and have traveled to China, I applaud you on your bravery.  For those that haven't, just do it.  Go out there and see for your self.  This isn't for me, it is for you to experience that moment when you first step foot in a country with people that doesn't look like you.  If you prefer  another country like Africa, Korean, Japan, India, do so.  I think everyone should do it at least once before they die, in my opinion it's in China, but that's because I am Chinese.  Please let me know what your take is on this, love to hear your opinion.

Thanks for stopping by, thanks for reading my blog!
Have a wonderful day!

Jennifer Chan

No comments:

Post a Comment